The main events space can seat up to 85 people for a wide range of commercial and educational events.
Bookings are being taken for the Pines Calyx from May 2006. To make a provisional booking, click here to email us.
Design of the Pines Calyx
The Calyx Project team have been tasked to show how good design can deliver economically and ecologically healthy and sustainable solutions within the built environment. The aspirations of the design are that it combines a benign environmental footprint with a sound commercial return and that it is unobtrusive, blending in within the landscape. Energy assessments of the building indicate that its energy consumption will be of the order of 15 - 20% of conventional resulting in the Pines Calyx being one of the most energy efficient buildings in the country and certainly, the design team believe one of the healthiest.
The Design criteria include:
- Construction, by using local materials and low-intensity methods
- The pre-eminence of local landscape in design
- Features and methodology enhancing local biodiversity
- Sequestering carbon
- Contributing solar-based energy beyond its needs
- Re-using wastes as ‘food’ for contribution to the building and the immediate vicinity (applying whole-systems recycling/’upcycling’ methodologies)
- The building will return ‘naturally’ to the landscape at the end of its life
To find out more about the Pines Calyx, follow these links:
Here is a taster of the photographs you can view on our hosted site, Flickr. Click one of the small images, left, and a new window will open with last week’s photos. Once on our Flickr site, you can view past weeks of progress since construction started, in March 2005.